Kerala- God’s Own Country. There is a reason why this famous Indian state is given this name. Certainly there is something about Kerala that makes it the most popular tourist destination in the whole of Asia. But do you know the reasons and secrets that make Kerala so unique and desirable? If No, then get to know more about Kerala and the most sought after tourist places in Kerala with us.
Kerala- a South Indian state on the Malabar Coast is bordered by Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Lakshadweep Sea with Thiruvanathapuram as its largest city and state capital. Entire Kerala state is divided into 14 districts and Malyalam is the official language of this state. Popularly known as the state of spices, Kerala has some of the record breaking statistics if compared to other Indian states like, highest Human Development Index, highest literacy rate and highest sex ratio which is 1084 women per 1000 men. If you are surprised by these facts then you must also know that Kerala also has the highest media exposure in the entire country and newspapers in Kerala are published in nine different languages. What contributes to the major tourist attractions to this unique state includes beaches, Ayurveda, Flora and Fauna, Spices and Backwaters.
So, if after reading all this, you are planning to visit Kerala then you must know that this one of its kind state of India is well connected with air, road and rail routes and so it is not a difficult task to reach Kerala from across the globe. Here a few things that are a must try in Kerala:
- Cuisine: Being the land of spices, it is quite obvious that flavors play an important role in Kerala’s food and cuisine. This food heaven has got a variety to offer to you in breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and desserts. Kerala cuisine equally caters the needs for vegetarians and non-vegetarians food lovers. Some of the dishes and cuisines that will definitely tickle your taste buds are Sadya, Fish, Malabar Cuisine, Tribal Cuisine, Onam Recipes, Sea Food, Paayasam, Coconut Pudding and much more. Trust me! This is just the tip of iceberg!
- Ayurveda: Kerala is famously known as land of Ayurveda. Although Ayurveda is a 5000 years old science and is recognized for its magical effects on body, mind and soul yet it is not a common practice everywhere; but Kerala has an unbroken bond with Ayurveda from hundreds of years and the climatic conditions of Kerala also compliments this medicine system quite well. In Kerala, Ayurveda is not just another healthcare system but is used to relax, rejuvenate and cure many medical conditions where other treatments failed. Well, if you are visiting Kerala then don’t miss Ayurveda Therapeutic Programs, Rejuvenation Therapies and Massages.
- Sea, Beaches and Waterfalls: If your idea of a perfect holiday includes sea and beaches and waterfalls then Kerala is definitely going to give you an experience of a lifetime. Kerala, a home to more than 10 beaches and even more majestic waterfalls is surely going to be a treat to your eyes. Surrounded with greenery and scenery, the beaches and falls of Kerala will surely sweep you away from your feet with its beauty. You can enjoy picnic, swimming, sunbathing and sunrise/sunset views at these beaches and waterfalls and an exotic beach resort will be the cherry on the cake. Some of the famous beaches and waterfalls in Kerala are Adyanpara Waterfalls, Arippara Waterfalls, Chethalayam Falls, Kollam Beach, Kappad Beach, Chowara Beach etc.
- Wildlife: Nature Lovers and Animal Lovers, Kerala has a special treat for you. You will be even more excited to visit Kerala after knowing the fact that this beautiful state has 14 wildlife sanctuaries, 2 tiger reserves and 6 national parks to offer to you. Rich in flora and fauna these parks, reserves and sanctuaries are home of several exotic and rare species like Sloth-Bear, Bengal Tiger, Nilgiri Tahr and many more. The famous wildlife destinations in Kerala are Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary, Eravikulam National Park, Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary etc.
- Hill Stations: Truly said, God’s Own Land because this state never fails to amaze you. If you think that Kerala has already got a lot to offer to you then wait unless you are surprised by the famous hill stations in Kerala. Kerala has a huge list of majestic hill stations for the lovers of hills and mountains. Munnar, Kozhikode, Kottayam, Gavi etc. are some of the place for you if you are a hill-station kind of a person.
Apart from the above mentioned attractions, Kerala is also famous for its rich culture and heritage values. If you are visiting Kerala try to witness some of the famous festivals and celebrations of Kerala. Festivals like Boat Races, Pooram, Theyyam, Music Festival, Onam and Temple Festivals are a must watch. So plan your holiday accordingly.